Monday, January 27, 2014

The power of a compliment

My mom & me at Disneyland
There are some lessons in life that make you a better person. 

Here's mine...

Apparently when I was little, I didn't give compliments. Granted, I enjoyed receiving them, but I never gave them. One day my mom said, "Faith, you don't give compliments to people. Do you like things or notice things?" Of course I did. She went on, "...well then, I want you to give at least one compliment a day."

Such a simple, yet profound lesson. From that lesson, I made a conscious effort to give one compliment a day. It was easier to compliment people I knew. Eventually, however, I found myself complimenting strangers. I remember walking out of a store and the windows were spotless. Not a fingerprint in sight! I appreciate cleanliness, believe me, and at a busy store, well, that is just unheard of. There was an employee cleaning the glass and I stopped and mentioned, "It looks good. Nice job." I felt a little nervous, but once I saw the employee smile back at me I realized compliments are a great way to feel connected. Family, friends, strangers...we all like a compliment now and then. To this day, I find myself commenting on something I notice and it feels good to make a meaningful connection with another person, even for a brief moment.

The power of a compliment.
Like I said, it wasn't that I didn't think of positive things about other people, I just kept those thoughts to myself. Once I began voicing my thoughts, it became easier and more of a habit over time. When you share your thoughts with others, it brings you closer and creates a positive connection. Plus, life can be rough, why not take every opportunity to say something that is good and that may bring joy to others?

How often do you think about something, yet keep it to yourself? I encourage you to integrate the same lesson my mom taught me into your daily routine:

Give at least one compliment a day.
My mom & me while studying at TTU
  1. Note when you have a positive thought.
  2. Share it...say it out loud.
  3. How did it make the other person feel?
  4. How did it make you feel?
Complimenting others is one of the greatest lessons I have ever learned. Share positivity. Thanks, Mom.

#ComplimentADay