Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Slow down in a fast paced world

In this season of New Year's goals and resolutions, it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the things we should be doing. 
I should be getting more exercise. 
I should be cooking in healthier ways. 
I should manage my time better. 
I should budget more efficiently.
Any of those ring true for you? We live in a society that values being busy. People take pride in how productive they are, how many family activities they are involved in, and attending various social events. Those things are worth valuing, but at times staying busy can become a detriment to yourself and your relationships with others. 

Our inner dialogue may encourage us to stay busy: 
If I am busy, I am using my time wisely. 
If I am busy, I am valuable and worthy. 
If I am busy, I am creating a better future. 
If I am busy, I matter. 
For many of us, it may feel uncomfortable, even distressing to relax and take a break. 

Selina Wang of Harvard Univeristy writes a terrific article, "Why are we so busy?" highlighting the "frenzy of productivity." She writes, 
"The frenzy of productiveness is a safe haven where we are so busy that there is no time to question the motives of what we are doing, or to wonder what to do with a moment of reprieve. Filling up every second gives us a sense of securtiy that we are beign successful and working towards something.

We need space to do the things we enjoy. We need time to spend with the people and things we love. We need opportunities to take a break, disconnect our minds, and experience the world with curiosity and wonder. Wouldn't it be nice to spend a few moments doing nothing? Here are three simple things you can easily incorporate into your busy life to take it easy.


3 tips to carve out space to slow down in a fast paced world:
  1. Take a deep breath. Then take another. Your body and mind, for the brief moment, will thank you.
  2. Acknowledge your feelings. What comes up for you when you pause and concentrate on how you feel?
  3. Celebrate your accomplishments. To often we let things pass without recognizing how great things are. Give yourself a pat on your back, you earned it. 
When we stop being busy, we may just discover what we so often have overlooked. Slow down. Enjoy the moment.

If you find it difficult to slow down, it may benefit you to talk with someone. At times the busy-ness serves a function, such as distract from pain or hurtful memories. Consider the support of a professional if slowing down is too challenging. 


-Ellen
Ellen@dbpsychotherapy.com
704.351.8654