Monday, January 24, 2011

Ways to combat your fear of change

Who likes change? Trust me, I'm not a huge fan. I am perfectly content once I get into a groove and I am happy for things to roll along...

Life is one of those things where change is inevitable. In all the discomfort that one experiences because of change, I am still grateful for the opportunity to change. There are many moments in our life when we need change. For instance, after evaluating our business and our vision we recognized that as our business needs have evolved so must our business. I was hesitant about this change and I'm still experiencing some discomfort, but at the end of the day I know we are moving in the right direction.

How about you? Where do you need to make changes in your life or relationships? We hope the following 5 tips to combat your fear of change are helpful as you take another step towards to where you want to be.
Ways to combat your fear of change

  1. "There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction." (Winston Churchill) Be confident in the direction you are moving.
  2. Change is inevitable and constant. You cannot fight nature; change is a natural, developmental process.
  3. Focus on your end goal
  4. Start small. Small changes lead to big changes. What is one thing you can do differently today?
  5. Surround yourself by encouraging and supportive people. Friends, family members, and professionals make great cheerleaders! 
Can you endure some discomfort in the short term for a better life in the long term? Yes, you can! One of the great things about life is that you can make changes every day...even if those changes intimidate you.