Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year, A New You

I know many people who were eagerly awaiting 2012. Were you one of them?

Growing up I remember driving in the back seat of the car with my parents. I was gazing out the side window and saw images in a neighbor's yard of a Grim Reaper character on one end and a new born baby with a sash wrapped around its body with the year on it on the other side of the yard. It wasn't until recently that I connected this (which I hesitate to admit), the grim reaper was actually Father Time. I didn't really understand what those two figures meant back then. However, now I share in the feelings those images represent today.


At the end of each year, I reflect on the highs and lows. Every year I experience triumphs and challenges and doing a quick self-reflection helps me find gratitude in where I am today. On the other hand, a new year is filled with dreams of endless possibilities and opportunities! I take joy relishing in the feelings that a new year brings: hope, renewal, curiosity, and empowerment.

  • Hope. A new year offers you hope in your future. What do you hope for in 2012?
  • Renewal. A new year, a new you! What do want to renew (e.g., love for self, commitment to your partner)?
  • Curiosity. A new year with endless possibilities. What are you curious about? What ways will you discover answers to those questions? 
  • Empowerment. A new year to find your voice. In what ways can you support your well-being? 
A new year awaits you! Happy New Year!