Friday, January 20, 2012

Little things make a big difference

Growing up my mom placed an emphasis on Fridays. In my school lunch I'd find a Little Debbie snack with a handwritten note on it, "Happy Fun Friday! I love you! -Mom." Talk about brightening up my day! Even now my mom will ask, "What are you doing for Fun Friday?"

As an adult, I realize the importance of making at least one day or moment extra special. The weeks are filled with so much responsibility and decision-making that it is essential to bring a little joy into the day...otherwise we may all burnout.

Peanut Butter Cupcake by Cupcake Delirium
Last night I was working late at the office. Before I left, spontaneity hit me and I quickly developed a little scavenger hunt to greet my office assistant when she arrived this morning (thankfully earlier in the day I got a pack of cupcakes from a nearby cupcake truck so I made one of them the "treasure"). It took me just a few minutes to think of some clever clues and where to hide them...I was definitely having a good time. When my assistant arrived today she was completely surprised! It was a great change to the typical workday and it lifted her spirits.


Little things make a big difference; not only will the person on the receiving end have fun, but so will you. Here are some tips as you plan a special day or moment for someone in your life:

  • Have fun. This is not only to brighten someone else's life, but also yours. Joy comes to those who give, not just to those who receive.
  • Be creative. Creativity looks different for each person. In this moment, don't stress or think too hard; do what feels right and creativity will flourish
  • Focus on the goal. Your goal is to increase a bit of happiness. Even if your idea doesn't go like you planned, remember it's in the spirit of fun. For instance, many Little Debbie snacks are made of chocolate...growing up in Arizona if I left my lunch out too long, it melted. Ah, so it wasn't a perfect treat under the hot sun, but it was still delicious, albeit messy, and made my day. 
  • Repeat: Little things make a big difference. It is not how long it takes to plan or how elaborate the idea that makes the difference. It is you thinking of others that makes the difference. Who knew that little sticky notes left all over the office last night would be the special moment of the day for someone? Little things make a big difference and have a lasting impact.
Happy Fun Friday!