Monday, December 13, 2010

Saving money, making a memory

During the holidays, there is pressure to spend money and to buy the "perfect gift." For many today, spending even a few extra dollars is difficult. We'd like to ease the financial burden this holiday season by sharing with you the top 5 creative ideas to make a wonderful holiday memory without spending any money!

Our list is a way to return the focus of buying and gift giving to the experience of making a memory. I forgot what I purchased last year for my family and I struggle to remember what I received. However, I distinctly remember the fun games my family played together last year. It's the experience that made a wonderful memory, not a toy or an item.


Top 5 Creative Ways to Save Money by Making a Memory:
1. Make personal "Coupons"
2. Take your family to volunteer
3. Make a photo album
4. Play games
5. Re-enact scenes or retell stories from your favorite holiday movie, book, or play

Last year, we got into various teams and got some healthy competition going between the family. Some of the fun games that we played were writing our own lyrics to a famous holiday tune. The lyrics were hilarious and brought out the creativity in all of us. Another game was making a holiday ornament using various items found throughout the house. It's amazing what you can do with a random button, string, a Sharpie, and a balloon.

My mom says, "You are always making a memory. It's your choice to make it a good one." Take this holiday season to make good memories with your family!