Thursday, October 28, 2010

Time to dress up

With only 3 days to go, bags of candy are flying off the shelves, costumes are being put together, and people are eagerly awaiting the next best party of the year. This time of year is fun for the young and old alike. Like no other holiday, Halloween provides us the thrill of tapping into our inner diva, superhero, or mystic and going out on the town as that persona.

Some of my greatest memories of Halloween involved dressing up as a gypsy with my gold coin jewelry clinking together every time I moved with a scarf wrapped around my head or the time I was Jeannie from "I dream of Jeannie" and whenever I pretended to grant a wish I just nodded my head and my pony tail came flying. Granted, I was an Asian version of Jeannie, but Jeannie nonetheless. From the time I was a little girl, playing dress up has provided an outlet for make believe and creativity to come alive.



There is something magical or whimsical about being anyone or anything and escaping the weight that only reality can bring, such as responsibility. However, for some people putting on a "mask" is a daily activity and not just reserved for October 31st. Not that wearing a mask is necessarily a bad thing because there are always reasons behind why we do what we do and sometimes life demands that we put on that mask for self-preservation sake. However, wearing a mask daily can have consequences. For one, your mind and body use much more energy, even at the unconscious level, to maintain the image you want others to see. Without even realizing it, wearing that mask can be exhausting and taxing on your overall well-being. Second, people around you aren't getting to know the real you. You are limiting your opportunities to engage in authentic relationships if you aren't showing your true self.

Take time to reflect on the times when you wear a mask. You can gain a lot of value the more self-aware you are about how your mask is helpful and when it is limiting. Perhaps you don't want everyone to know the true you, but are you able to be yourself to those you care about? Do you even know what your true self looks like? Every now and then it's good to self-reflect.

For now, enjoy being whoever or whatever your imagination can conjure! I have a couple days left to decide between being Superwoman or a giant donut. Tap into your inner creativity and have fun on this Halloween!